Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Module 2 Information retrieval Question 1


"What, me, I didn't do anything!"

The clinical problem I chose to do my information search on is pain management in the elderly. I chose to use the Cochran Library so that I could gain more practice with their system. As Cochran Library is a well supported source for evidence based practice I want to feel comfortable in looking up information to answer my clinical questions. The Cochran index is rather complicated to use and I spent a few hours trying to narrow down my search and decide exactly how broad I wanted my topic of pain management to be. In time, as I become more familiar with MEsh terms and the keyword trees, I think that this data base will be an excellent source of information in daily practice. Between the included help information on the site and Google, I was able to obtain a fair amount of information on my topic that I can narrow down depending on what I am managing the pain from/or for. The only barriers I see to daily practice is time spent researching and access.

1 comment:

  1. True, this can be time consuming. However the more you specialize and the more familiar you get with the systems, it will go faster for you.

    ReplyDelete